During the moving season, many people find themselves facing an essential task: cleaning the refrigerator. Whether you own a new or used refrigerator, this important cleaning should not be taken lightly!
Here are a few tips that will help you do a good job by making things easier.
How often should you clean your refrigerator?
Refrigerator maintenance (inside and outside) should be carried out about twice a month. However, this may vary depending on your food storing habits. If you’re the type of person who never leaves food rot, then you can clean your refrigerator once a month. But you should not exceed this interval!
What types of products should I use to clean the refrigerator?
There are many refrigerator-cleaning products to choose from including several which are natural. Some people prefer to buy cleaning products in stores; others opt for greener and more ecological solutions. The choice is yours.
Here are a few popular combinations you might want to consider:
- A mixture of warm water and white vinegar (approximately 50% – 50%)
- A mixture of a small amount of warm water and soda crystals (not to be confused with baking soda).
- A mixture of warm water and lemon juice (approximately in the same proportions).
- A mixture of hot water and a capful of bleach (don’t overuse the bleach at the risk of making your solution too toxic).
- A multipurpose disinfectant (preferred brands include Fantastik, BioVert, MR.Clean, and Nature Clean).
For your safety, we recommend that you avoid using products that contain ingredients such as Toluene or Benzene. These chemical substances may cause undesirable side effects such as memory loss, nausea, dizziness, etc.
To leave a nice aroma, we suggest you add a drop of rosemary or lavender to your mixture. The result will be that much more pleasant.
Tips for properly cleaning your refrigerator
Washing your refrigerator is a household task that must be performed with the greatest of care. Remember, it is an expensive appliance that you do not want to damage.
Here are a few practical tips you’ll find very handy:
- Empty your refrigerator and store the food in a cooler.
- Unplug your refrigerator during the cleaning (to avoid wasting electricity).
- Use a tooth brush, sponge or microfiber cloth for scouring all the corners.
- Use a cotton swab to clean inaccessible areas.
- Don’t hesitate to remove the glass shelves in order to clean them directly in the sink.
Things to avoid while cleaning the refrigerator
Some forms of maintenance are to be avoided if you want to prevent damage to your refrigerator. We are referring here primarily to tips for cleaning the exterior of your refrigerator.
A few examples:
- Avoid using a scraper or razor blade for fear of damaging the exterior coating of the refrigerator.
- Avoid choosing a cleaning product that contains sand or solvent.
- Protect the electrical areas (bulbs, buttons, etc.) from the water used for cleaning.
- Do not use an abrasive sponge.
To make your refrigerator shine, remember to clean it consistently. If you wait too long, dried out sauce and grease spots will prove that much tougher to scour.