At the office it is all about leaning in, but at home is where we like to lean back. Sinking into your favourite chair or sofa at the end of the day is really the best cure around. Don’t you agree? Combine a comfortable spot with family or friends for football or family day gatherings with some good food and you’ve got it made in the shade.
When it comes to selecting the perfect chair, sofa, or loveseat it is definitely worth including recliners and motion furniture in your search. Not only are today’s modern motion furniture offerings stylish and sleek, but they are the perfect way to add even more comfort to your home theatre, family room, or man cave.
With that in mind, we’ve pulled together our top three expert tips on what to look for or think about when selecting motion furniture for your home.
1) Look for Canadian-made
When it comes to buying furniture (motion or not!) a big consideration these days is looking for Canadian-made products, including furniture. When shopping for high quality furniture items for your home it is always a good idea to look for Made In Canada companies.
2) Manual vs. Power Options
A key option offering in reclining or motion furniture is the choice between manual or power. A key factor in this decision is the room’s layout and your access to a power source. Sometimes the room makes the decision for you, and other times you have the choice between manual or power options and there are advantages to both.
Manual motion furniture options:
- Allow you to place the furniture anywhere in any room without being restricted by power outlets or using or power chords;
- Have fewer moving parts so there is less potential failure or warranty issues
- Cost significantly less than their power option cousins simply because there are fewer motorized parts;
- Are generally lighter than motorized options (easier to move);
Power or mechanical motion furniture options:
- Modern long-lasting battery packs now allow many motion furniture options to have power, but no chord (except during charging) giving you the best of both worlds (power without restriction on placement).
- Allow you to recline to any desired position, providing very specific comfort to anyone who sits and reclines to their desired position;
- Are easier to use because there is less effort required on your part to recline;
3) Know All Your Style Options
What room will your new furniture be used in? Home theatres and man caves are the ideal spot for a selection of motion sectionals and chairs, perfect for watching the latest scary movie or big game. When it comes to living rooms and family rooms, other options that work well are reclining chairs, loveseats, and sofas. From leather recliners in the man cave to soft fabrics in the family room, the style options are endless in today’s recliners.
Rebecca, Your Furniture Expert